WALK TO SCHOOL!
Suggested Location: Classroom
Equipment Needed: Sheet of paper and pencil per student
• Each student stands beside his/her desk and records an activity on a sheet of paper (e.g., jumping jacks, leg raises, crunches,
running on the spot).
• Leader instructs students to perform the activity they have written down.
Options: timed performance or number of repetitions.
• Students then move to the next desk. They read the activity already recorded on the paper and record a different activity.
• Leader instructs students to perform both activities (times or repetitions).
• Repeat process as students move from desk to desk.
• Brainstorm possible activities with your class prior to beginning (post on chart paper/bulletin board).
• Have the students remain at their own desk and rotate the sheets of paper throughout the classroom.
2 MIN. PREP TIME
Benefits of Daily Physical Activity:
It is widely acknowledged that physical activity is essential to children’s growth and development. Regular physical activity can have a positive impact on students’ physical, mental, and social well-being. In particular, physical activity is likely to have an impact on students’achievement, readiness to learn,behaviour, and self-esteem. Positive experiences with physical activity at a young age also help lay the foundation for healthy, productive lives.
Click here for example activities:
Peel Region D.P.A Activities
Daily Physical Education Monthly TIPS 2014-2015
Positive Mental Outlook:
Some techniques recommended by experts are to think positive thoughts. Spend 30 minutes a day doing something you like.
Drinking water will help ensure you are properly hydrated, which will ultimately reduce your risk of sustaining or experience cramps.
Best way to exercise:
The exercises you choose should be tailored to what you like to do and then optimized for fitness and to avoid injury.
Combine and Conquer:
Aerobic activities help your heart and lungs and stretching improves your flexibility, weight training will improve your strength and endurance, and a combination of all three makes for an optimal exercise plan.
Cooling down can help prevent those dizzy spells and even fainting that can occur when you stop a vigorous workout suddenly.
Friendly Food Guide
Consuming foods from all parts of the food group pyramid is a great way to ensure that your body is receiving what it needs in the correct percentages.
Get your zzzzzz’s
While you are sleeping your body is repairing muscles and cells. Sleep is also essential for the correct production of your hormones. Try for 8 hours sleep and see how much more refreshed you feel in the morning.
More energy and stamina.
The more you workout, the more energy you have. Regular workouts will also mean that you will have more endurance to deal with daily activities, and your day won’t seem so hard or tiring.